The Bridgewater Triangle Mass UFO Sighting of 1972

Many UFOs have been reported seen floating through the skies over Massachusetts’ Bridgewater Triangle over the years. The most famous sighting being in 1979 when two local newsmen would be two of hundreds of people who witnessed a low flying, baseball diamond shaped UFO.  Many of those sightings have been reported by local newspapers.

On the evening of July 3, 1972  residents all around the south shore witnessed a large triangular-shaped, shiny  and "translucent" object in the sky. The Weymouth Naval Base received numerous calls by alarmed witnesses seeking answers about what the object might have been.

But the Weymouth Naval Base could provide no answer to appease their fear and curiosity.
“South Shore residents were still talking excitedly at Fourth of July barbecues and cocktail parties about a weird, unidentified flying object they saw Monday in the evening sky."

"Residents in Scituate, Cohasset, Hingham, Marshfield, Rockland, Pembroke, Hanson, Hanover and Whitman reported spotting the silvery, triangular thing between 7 and 8 p.m. It was apparently the first mass UFO sighting since a rash of flying saucers appeared over New England back in 1966."

A Marshfield resident reportedly was among the first to see whatever it was.

"I looked up and saw it --a triangular shaped object that looked like one big wing,” he said. “It was translucent and I thought I could see blue sky through it, but its edges were white and well remained in sight for 45 minutes  and then disappeared in cloud cover.”

The witness claimed that he was not alone in his bizarre sighting. He reported that at least 25 of of his neighbors could verify his story...because they saw it as well.

Many curious (some downright frightened) witnesses to the strange craft promptly contacted the no defunct South Shore Weymouth Naval Air Station.

“All I can say is we received maybe 15 calls between 8 and 10 p.m. about a silvery, triangular transparent object moving west,” said a duty officer at the air station. “We don’t know what it was.”
Residents also reached out to the further away, Hanscom Air Force Base.

One spokesman from the base said, "We received some calls but we didn't record any information. Anyway, there is no longer any lace for us to to forward information. The Air Force has disbanded its UFO investigation project."

Just three years before the mass UFO sighting of 1972--after 21 years of recording and investigating reports of unidentified flying objects--the Air Force "UFO task force--named Project Bluebook--was dismantled, with the official explanation being that "the project could no longer be justified either on the grounds of national security of the interest of science."

Could it be that the military had attained the answers they had previously sought?


Popular posts from this blog

Freetown Forest: Unidentified Floating Objects Descend From The Sky In 1942

The Bridgewater Triangle Bigfoot & the Purple Laser Beam

Sachem Rock Farm: Monumental History, Murder & War